The Galesville Community Center resides in the historic Rosenwald School of Galesville. It was built as an elementary school for African American children in 1929 as a one room school and expanded to a two room school in 1931 as part of the Julius Rosenwald Program. Click here to learn more about Rosenwald Schools. The school closed in 1956 and pupils were bussed out of the village. In 1957, a group of black residents formed a community association to save the schoolhouse. In 1958, the Galesville Rosenwald School was purchased from the Board of Education at a cost of $1,000 by 12 community residents that formed the Galesville Community Center Organization, Inc. The Community Center Organization was reorganized in 2003 to preserve the Galesville Rosenwald School. The historically significant structure was restored with grant funding from Preservation Maryland, Arundel Community Development Services, Anne Arundel County Community Capital Grants, and a bond bill from the State of Maryland. Today, the building is an active community center, hosting a variety of events, from oral history days to historical exhibits to community gatherings! Click here to see a video about the Galesville Community Center!
The Maryland Humanities Council's " Museum on Main Street" program, in coordination with the Smithsonian Institute selected Galesville to host an exhibition in the summer of 2015, titled: "Hometown Teams: How Sports Shaped America."
Click here for more information. Or visit our acebook page to learn more!
Print out our NEW Field Guide to Galesville (produced in partnership with The Anne Arundel County Trust for Preservation, Inc. and The Four Rivers Heritage Area)
and take a walking tour of Galesville this weekend!